Thursday, May 30, 2013

Project Update: Houligan's Alley by FSM

I have all structures built to the point where I can get their accurate footprint. If time permits I may start making diorama base this weekend. The time will be scarce though. I have one project with hard deadline and another one which doesn't have deadline carved in stone but I would like to get done before certain date. However, my diorama base preparation method consists of three steps that take 15-30 minutes to complete but require several hours to a day between them so I may be able to squeeze in. I use insulation foam for diorama base. I mark building footprint on it and then glue 1/16 thick basswood strips inside of perimeter. That gives me flat surface to glue down the structures later. Then I apply about 1/16 thick layer of Sculpamold leaving off road area. Finally, I use lightweight spackle for a road. Perhaps I do too much but I like unevenness Sculpamold creates and the properties of the spackle.



2 comments:

  1. How do you cut the foam and keep it perfectly square? Do you glue the foam to any other material base? I'm worried about warping. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cut it with a sharp knife. If I get slight angle then I use a sanding block to fix it. I no longer use the insulation foam though. I use gatorboard (gatorfoam). It doesn't warp, but is more expensive.

      Delete