Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Project Update: Houligan's Alley by FSM

I have yet to build kits from more manufacturers but so far I find FSM kits to be most enjoyable. Everything is thought through, no mistakes, no missing parts, no laser cut parts that suppose to save time but actually require more of it, no adhesive covered parts which cause more pain than help, plenty of stripwood. I think every structure kit builder has to build at least one FSM kit or perhaps start with one.
Last step before taking pictures was to apply some dirt on the roof. The instructions called for using oil based paint. I had some concerns though. The kit is around 10 years old and I wasn't sure oil based paint was even available. I found it at Sherwin-Williams but at about $20 for a pint or quart it was way more than I was willing to spend. I usually go to Home Depot for stuff like that but over past few years they have got rid of anything out of ordinary. They keep only product they can sell fast. I know I should switch to Lowe's but end up at Home Depot because of habit and because it is more convenient to get to. Not this time though. I went straight to Lowe's and bought small can of black flat oil based paint for less than $5 and it will last me some time. How many dirt roofs do I do a year? One maybe.



No comments:

Post a Comment