Friday, January 20, 2012

Project Update: Fat Jimmy's BBQ

Major reason for this project to become a foster child was that I didn't like how back addition had turned out. The boards were all fuzzy and the netting didn't look realistic enough. I needed to redo it and I don't like doing something all over again. Also I wanted a BBQ pit which I had to scratchbuild since I couldn't find one already made. That fact probably tells how many more railroad modelers are in the north east compared to the south. Every scratchbuilding project involves at least some research and some head scratching. I don't have problem with research. I like it but I am like a heavy train - really slow to start moving. At some point I was even considering abandoning back addition and BBQ pit. When I got to wood staining for the roof top sign I tossed in few sticks for the back addition. That got me going. I had decided early on that would place the pit on brick base which I would make out of card stock. There was only one problem. I could design it in TurboCAD and unfold. However, then I had to add brick texture and I had failed in the past on quite few occasions. I even wasn't sure if it was all possible to do in Adobe Illustrator using imported drawing. It is but in AI version 8.0 you have to know a trick to connect all graphic primitives together and create an area. Version 8.0 is quite old and most of online help is for newer versions and it seems no trick is needed for them to work. After I learned the trick everything was cheaper than a mushroom. "Cheaper than a mushroom" is beautiful Lithuanian expresion to describe something that is really easy to do. What can be cheaper than free? Self respecting lithuanian would rather pick mushrooms in the woods than buy them at a store. Lets get back to the Fat Jimmys. So, I designed the brick base and applied Clever Models brick texture. And here is the final result.


At the same time I built back addition. This time around I used stocking for the netting instead of window treatment material. I think it looks better. Then I added few more lights. That guy Jimmy surely likes when it all is bright and shiny.









No comments:

Post a Comment