Friday, January 20, 2012

Project Update: Decker's Tar Soap by FOS Scale Models

The Decker's is getting really close to being done. It could have been completed by now but first, I don't do any modeling on the 13th. I lost 6-8 hours right there. Then on Wednesday  I spent most of the evening working on Fat Jimmy's. It is all OK. I have been spending on Decker's pretty much all of my modeling time ignoring my personal projects and I don't have deadline to meet.
I ran into another little problem. I wasn't supposed to add corner posts to the little roof bump and to the roof access before I installing the roof itself. The instructions may mention that somewhere but the drawings don't imply assembly order in any way. So, first I cut wider opening in the roof card to accommodate corner posts. Then I realized that the trim no longer fit under the roof. In real life it would mean rapidly rotting trim. The model just didn't look right. Therefore, I cut out small pieces of chip board and glued in place. Then painted and weathered.
I attempted using included in the kit dirt to cover flat areas of the roof but it just didn't work for me. Instead I used proven method of ground fine Woodland Scenics ballast. It looks too light right now but weathering powders and oil wash will make it look like it should be.




No comments:

Post a Comment