Monday, August 22, 2011

Project Update: Fat Jimmy's BBQ

Sometime last year I purchased off eBay number of River Dam Modelworks kits at very low price. Most of the structures aren't that interesting but provide nice opportunity for kitbashing.

First up is Lee Roys Cycle Shop. Here is its box or I should say bag art.


I spent about a year on and off creating drawings until I came up with BBQ joint which has been expanded several times.

One of the criteria for the design was not to throw away any of the wall parts. It would become scratchbuilding instead of kitbashing if I did. Biggest challenge was to find  suitable replacement  for the front window. The number of choices was very limited and I ended up picking Tichy Group triple window which was different design than the windows and doors that came with the kit. Therefore, I replaced those to. Unlike the walls windows and doors can be used for other projects.
So far I have completed main structure with two side additions. The back addition is still in the works.




The pictures show also preliminary roof vent arrangement. The ones in red will be replaced with different ones made of beads. I am using airgun pellets for the rest. My thanks for the tip goes to Kitforums.com member rpdylan.
Also I would like to thank Dave Frary for the name of the joint. He suggested naming it Fat Jimmy's in the honor of Kitforums.com owner Jimmy Deignan. Although Jimmy has couple of  kits  named after him already I agreed. As we say in Lithuania there is no such thing as too much butter in mashed potatoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment