Wednesday, December 23, 2020

Building Bailey's Produce by FSM Pt.2

The other day I saw on eBay a built model of a small station. The siding was clapboard and the builder cut into the boards in several places to simulate the board ends. I use that technique almost on every model I build. The station, however, was very small. Perhaps 16 feet on the long side with the windows in the middle. That left not much space to have the board ends so the builder made few boards maybe 6 inch long. That is wrong on the engineering level as well the aesthetical. I keep my boards in the 8-16 feet long range when possible. 4 feet is the shortest I've ever done intentionally (I am human, I do make mistakes). Shorter than that just doesn't look right.
The main feature of the today's post is the FSM G.Beiley's Produce kit. Per request I split it into 3 separate dioramas. The limited remaining space on the layout being the reason. I skipped the track and turned the area that should have been occupied by it into the truck access dirt road. I didn't mind doing that. I don't like the ballasting. The main reason being the Woodland Scenics ballast I have is made of the ground nut shells and it floats. No matter how carefully I am applying it and making sure I have no ballast on the ties I still end up having plenty of the ballast on them or stuck to the track itself. I'll invest in the real rock ballast when time comes. As for now, I'll keep making roads.



















2 comments: