Friday, October 10, 2014

Building McGee's Hotel by Micro-scale Models again Pt.2

I am one step closer to achieving black belt in Micro-scale kit building. So far I have made four of them and few more are coming in the nearest future. I even acquired one myself recently and have my eye on few more - new waterfront series in particular.
Building McGee's this time around was much easier. I knew what to expect and all hardest parts of the process. For example, I didn't use "L" shaped stripwood for small addition corners. I trimmed the wall pieces instead and used 1/16th stripwood. Also I didn't use provided in the kit tarpaper roofing material. Instead I used thinner painter's masking paper. All that said, I still had a little trouble figuring out how all those angled roof pieces come together. As you can see in the pictures, they did but it took me two tries.
On another note, quite few people have been telling me how I should try gator foam for my diorama bases. I have researched few possible options, but none of them have turned out to be very attractive. I either had to buy large quantity, or incur relatively high shipping cost. As was still weighing my options, on the way home from work I spotted a sign shop. The gator foam is used primarily for sign making, so I stopped by and asked if they had any leftovers. Guess what? I am proud owner of one 2 ft. by 4 ft. piece and two small ones! Also I paid very reasonable price.










7 comments:

  1. Gator foam is great. I like it a lot. I normally buy if from this website:
    http://www.gatorfoam.net

    They'll cut custom sizes.

    Jaime

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Jaime. I was going to try them, but then this sign shop popped up. The fact that I have to cut it myself may be even better since at this point I have no idea what diorama I am going use it for. It was more opportunity purchase.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Vilius
    I can get here in Chile Gator Foam of 2,5 Mt by 1 Mt by 3 mm for US$ 10.00
    Do you want some

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi,

      Just saw your comment, julpemu. I appreciate your offer, but I still have that piece from the sign shop. Or to be more precise what is left of it. It is still a large piece. I see that I got it 4 years ago. At the rate I am going it will last for another 4.

      Delete
  4. rdressel,
    what scale are these kits? They are very nice kits, you did a great jo, my letter after A and efor c isn't working, hope you got the picture.
    Ro

    ReplyDelete