Monday, September 30, 2013

Project Update: Gritty McDuff's by Bar Mills

Here is this secret project I mentioned in my previous post. Until about the end of November I have 3-4 hours per week that I can spend more usefully than being plain bored. I tried reading but it felt like I was forcing myself. Then I figured out that I could do some simple things that don't require complex setup, something I can do in the field conditions. I didn't get McDuff's before first availability after I came up with the idea so I tested it on couple of my own kits. One of them is way past initial clean up stage. Another I have put back in the box and it is now waiting for its time. I'll post about these projects later.
I have been working on McDuff's this way for about 3 weeks now. I have done cleanup of all wood parts, all plastic windows, and about half of castings. I have stolen some time from Houligan's Alley and Texaco Gas Station so I could continue working on McDuff's instead of grabbing next kit of the shelf. Actually, I stole a little more from the gas station than actually was needed. I just couldn't help myself. Anyway, I have enough work for about 2 more weeks. After that I will have to figure what else I can do on McDuff's. If not I'll have to come up with something else. I have about another 8 kits lined up for me to build. Ideally it would be nice to do initial preparation of 1-2 kits from that collection to speed up the process but I hate to ask since I already have two kits that I am working on right now. Or... I have been wanting for some time to try my hand at making wire armature trees. I have both "Making Trees" books, wire. All I need is few photos of real trees to model after. The process involves steps that are hard to do in the field setting but wire twisting surely can be done. Or... Perhaps I should look around my modeling room for something that would allow me to refresh some stale projects...

No comments:

Post a Comment