Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Flashback: Nedra's Hot Tamales by FOS Scale Models

Nedra's was my first craftsman kit I ever completed. First diorama as well. The kit was offered for free as a promotion for a very limited time. It was also centerpiece of  a contest. Bellow are the pictures of my contest entry. I admit, execution could have been better but the idea is still among my favorites. It was influenced by German model railroading and alpine theme of town of Helen, GA. Tongue-in-cheek name of my diorama was "Greta's Bakery and Hans's Biergarten". However, I am not sure if anyone ever got the fact that I named it after "Hansel and Gretel". Anyway, my participation in the contest turned out to be a big fiasco. I got last place but I learned a good lesson. Originality is not going to produce good place in a contest. I should have shingled up the whole thing.
I still have Nedra's CAD drawings I used for the project and I am planing on doing few more projects in the future based on the structure. One I would like to make is Taco stand as it was originally intended to be built. I still have few parts left. It also is a good base for playing around with 3D printing. I only wish I had bit a more time for everything I come up with...






1 comment:

  1. Nice diorama.

    Perhaps a bit mote signs of life could have helped your contest entry.

    I've noticed at conventions that contest entries without signs of life are not as interesting as those that show signs of life.

    Signs of life do not need to be people. For example a trash bin with garbage overflowing shows that customers were present and have left. A half-eaten meal on a picnic table shows signs of life as well.

    Jaime

    ReplyDelete