Friday, August 8, 2014

Project Update: Tidewater Wharf by Builders in Scale

My second attempt to build lighthouse head turned out way better than the first one. I didn't mess it up this time! The final result is good keeping in mind engineering of it. The hydrocal base has an issue though. Its bottom and to aren't parallel. It seems like bottom may have been sanded off at the angle. I built the lighthouse to be parallel to the top of rock base and only then noticed that it was leaning. I didn't attempt to correct the problem since it can be addressed easier during installation on the layout.
For painting rocks I used technique I found on DVD called Tips for Building Contest Quality Structures with Bob Mitchell by FOS Scale Models. If you don't have this DVD in your collection get one. It is worth the money and probably costs less than a box car.
I am ready to start new project. It should arrive in the mail today. I don't want to reveal what it is yet. All I can say is that I am getting back to familiar grounds.





2 comments: