Thursday, August 7, 2014

Project Update: Gugisberg & Sons Machining by Downtown Deco

I have completed two hydrocal Railroadkits.com kits and one partially. The Gugisberg isn't exactly my first Downtown Deco kit but definitely bigger one. The other one is Rosa's Place which is way smaller and it is still waiting for it's turn to be finished. Anyway, I found that Downtown Deco kits are more craftsman, i.e. require more work and skills to build them. For example, left side windows and door needed some extra work to get them fit in. While other window openings go completely through the wall, these three had only indentation. Unfortunately, indentation wasn't deep enough. Well, it was deep enough for plastic part only but not for fully assembled window with glass and shade. I hate when I find this out after walls have been painted and other windows have been installed. Life isn't perfect so I got chisel blade and deepened the cavities. I was surprised how well chisel blade works on hydrocal, better than on wood possibly. I may have to repeat the process on dormers and rooftop shed which seems like they may have the same issue.
If things go as expected, in a week or so I will remove this big Downtown Deco kit box from the shelf and make some room for yet more kits. New South River Model Works kit should fit there perfectly. Maybe there will be enough room also for new FOS limited edition kit codenamed OH. It is very exciting time of year.




No comments:

Post a Comment