Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Project Update: Raglan Road by Bar Mills

Finally, I have Raglan Road update. I re-designed and installed storefront signs. Original red banner was painted on window material. It had to be removed and replaced with new one. I used rubbing alcohol which did the job well but also revealed the fact that there also was a coat of some kind of fixative on top. Alcohol removed it completely in the areas where banner used to be creating visible borderline marks. I had to wash whole window material surface and in the process lost everything that was applied on originally. That possibly led to some issues later on. The storefront is made out of thin plywood with sticky backing. Window material was supposed to adhere to the back of plywood and stay. Instead it popped out in the center next day. My suspicion is that special coating may have been there to provide better adhesion. I had applied canopy glue to all edges and I didn't want to cut out window material. Therefore, I decided to drill little holes through material into plywood and apply little beads of canopy glue into the holes. I put weights on and let it dry for a day just to make sure glue get enough time to dry. The solution worked and I then proceeded to putting storefront panels together. Instructions suggested gluing storefront former to the panels without removing backing paper. Unfortunately, if plywood is warped anything trying to keep it straight experiences significant forces. My storefront panels were warped and backing paper got pulled off. I removed former and the paper. I left sticky layer and used epoxy to glue former back giving each side 24 hours to cure under weight.


I don't believe that my storefront came out bit two small. I think it was engineered that way but it didn't have enough gluing surface to get attached to the building. It fit right into opening leaving maybe 1/8 of an inch up top for securing it. I ended up gluing strip of wood on each side inside of the opening and then attaching storefront to them.
The rest should not cause any major issues and I hope my next update will be final.

No comments:

Post a Comment