Monday, October 10, 2011

Project Update

Here is another picture-less update.

Elijah Roth.
It looks like I am dedicating more time to this project than Wanda's. I don't know what but there is something in this kit that tries to consume all of my time. Possibly all of FSM kits are like this. I hate to admit but I may be changing from non believer in FSM to a believer. And all this started as the way of learning new techniques...
I wasn't quite happy with the color of water wheel so I dabbed on some red oxide. I didn't want to spend much time waiting for the paint to cure so I applied A&I wash over about  within an hour of dabbing. The solution removed the paint in some places and moved it to others what produced uneven appearance which looks quite nice. Something unintentional...
Then I glued in water wheel and its support, formers that shape up stream banks. Finally, I made stream banks out of Sculptamold.
I didn't do all of this as one uninterrupted procedure. I had to let epoxy to cure for about 24 hours twice. In between I shingled up two roof sections, made and weathered cupola, prepared wood for yet another platform. After using Mike Chamber's method of staining wood for some time and trying out Jimmy Simmons' way I have decided that both are quite time consuming. Therefore, I gave a shot to yet another which is very simple. After distressing the wood I stained it with diluted craft paint. Then I hit it with shoe dye and rubbing alcohol solution. The result is convincing enough for me. I am here for fun and not for a torture.

Wanda's.
After procrastinating for entire weekend I jumped in for some last 30 minutes. I sanded off a bit bare soil areas. I wasn't going to do that initially but decided to give it a shot after reading about it somewhere. I think it is a great idea. The soil looks more HO scale now. I planted few crabgrass bushes leftover from another project. I still need to add some underbrush to make that part of diorama hard to see through. This is what bushes are all about isn't it?

Saw Pit Store.
It is all mess. I have some walls that are braced and with windows and doors glued in, others just painted as well some castings completely painted, others just half way. It is all due the fact that I have limited number of weights to use while bracing is drying. Also many castings require several different colors and all colors have to dry before applying next one. I have been burnt on this before.

Majestic Hardware.
Small step at a time. After doing the drawing I calculated how much wood it would need. It turned out to be quite some amount for such small platform. I stained all of it using acrylic wash, shoe dye and alcohol method. Looking forward to actually building the platform. I really enjoy making things out of sticks.

No comments:

Post a Comment